9.12.12

Deck the Halls...

Here it comes, the whirlwind of the Christmas Season.

In my case this December began with some breaking of tradition.

I decided to deck my halls BEFORE my Birthday this year!

Besides being thrilled at the personal growth I feel certain this step reflects,
I must now admit I did it simply because I love Christmas.

I couldn't wait to get out my box of lights and strange collection of ornaments.

Oh, and the Christmas music.

Amy Grant and I have been rocking out.
If you don't believe me, watch out, b'cause I might just come to your house to prove it.

I am now imaging myself in a long winter coat,
hair mussed yet somehow still cool
(just like John Cusack in Say Anything),
standing in your front yard blasting my Amy Grant Christmas CD
& singing loud for all to hear.

I love the sparkle and the cozy gatherings and the hot cocoa.

I love the wonder and mystery of the Holy God becoming man,
choosing to enter in to our weakness and helplessness,
giving generously and freely of all that He is.

This is what thrills my heart and gives me wonder afresh.

 My Mumsy & I (with the distraction of the eldest nephew J) sorted through our family Christmas boxes again, and tried to consolidate, get rid of,  and share some of these family treasures.
This is fun for me, not just because I am the self appointed Family Memory Treasurer,
but also because in "treasurering" I find things like this...
Ornaments hand made by my Grandmother


If your beloved Grandmother hand made ornaments representing you and your three siblings, wouldn't you treasure them, even if said ornaments made you appear hideous, puffy, and slightly monstrous?

I wish I had a photo of the one she made of Tim. It is quite possibly three times the size of the ones shown here, and really the ugliest one of them all. They make me laugh. And they make me miss my sweet and funny Grandma.

These ornaments are now in the possession of the sibling who shares their name, much to my sister-in-law Jill's chagrin because she has to hide her ornament "Timothy" at the back of the tree, and much to my chagrin because I think by themselves they are a little strange, but together they fit monstrously well.

I hope your season is filled with things that invoke wonder and delight...even if it is delighting in the wonder of Amy Grant & I "caroling" in your front yard.

We pretty much sound like this, so don't even think about rolling your eyes...

No comments: