22.5.10

Inspired

I was inspired a few weeks back,
when the weather was actually hinting at Summer,
to force Roomie (aka Tess) to add some spring to our Fanny House.

First, let me say Tess did not actually have to be forced, and it could have actually been her idea, I don't remember, but am taking the credit.

Second, Tess does not approve of me calling our place "The Fanny House". However, I do and will call it thus until she comes up with something spectacular.

Third, the reason I call it "The Fanny House" is that it is kind of like a Granny House, a little house detached from the big house, but doesn't have any Granny-like people in it. There are however people with fannies.

Fourth, I miss the days when houses had names instead of numbers. I think it speaks to the significance of a place to have a name. And by significance I think I mean that it honors the fact that significant events have occured inside of it's walls. Babies born & raised, heartaches & healthscares, failures & triumphs, loss & life, love & taxes. It also would be an interesting and difficult thing to get to know an area & how to get places. And, quite simply, it would feed my obsession with names and naming things.


Speaking of naming things, I have not named the plants Tess & I planted, because I am avoiding any future chance at feeling guilty if they do not survive.


Tess found some of my weird little things I like to add to the soil, and scientifically questioned why I think they will help the plants grow best.

We survived, and so far the plants have too.


Since our spring-inspired task was a success I decided to allow inspiration to lead to my next task.

Owls.


I like them. I like them so much that I got so excited when they started getting so popular. I tend to feel anti-trendy in a lot of ways, but this time it makes me happy to have so many choices when it came to owls. Yes, I am a little annoyed to like something so trendy, but it is not a trend for me, and I can live with that.

I wandered into this new fabric store in downtown Paso called Birch. It's this great little cluttered creative space with big windows and a ton of unique fabric. While I was frollicking amongst the bolts in wild childlike glee, I found some fabric that inspired me


I purchased a yard of this fabric with the intention of bringing it home to cover a pillow,


but instead I copied two of the little owls from the fabric onto paper,


wrote "the little owl's room" underneath,

& colored it in


Now all it needs is a little black frame around it while it proudly sits on the outside of The Fanny House's bathroom door.

No comments: