6.6.10

Being a niecester

I don't know exactly how to spell this made up word., but I should.

It means so much to me.

Today is my mostly aunts birthday.

It is she & her man who made up the word and told it to me quietly in a goodbye hug one day.

"You're our Niece-ster", they said.
A niece who lived at their house like a daughter, and has been treated as such.


Aunt Alyce, me & Aunt Joyce

It seems to be a tradition in my family.
My own Mumsy was a niece-ster in this beloved aunts family at the age of 15.
My sister was a niece-ster of sorts to another dear adopted family (see Aunt Alyce above) during her college years.
& now I am one too.

There is this theme in my story, my life, of people who have faithfully stood in the gaps. Loving, teaching, & inviting me into relationship, before I even knew how much I needed it.

My U.B. & A.J. have been gap-standers for me.

But not the kind of gap-standers that have it all together & are going to show you how it's done. The kind of gap standers who have been open about their own struggles & keep pointing me to the only adequate gap stander, Jesus.

And on this their almost OLD birthdays I celebrate all that they mean to me!

one of many gatherings at the Hawk home.

the small group that U.B. & A.J. facilitate

I call my Uncle Bill U.B., but he is a lot more. Captain, fisherman, handyman, dog whisperer (tee-hee), facebooker, teacher, southerner, instigator, adviser, farmer, risk taker, jokester, simplifier, leader, prayer warrior, & friend. Happy belated Birthday U.B.!

I called my A.J. my "mostly" aunt because she is mostly my aunt, but also a zillion things more.
Friend, confidant, prankster, chef, hostess, playmate, connoseur of all things little & tasty, teacher, organizer, musician, photographer, fellow pilgrim, gardener, counselor, actress, & explorer. Happy Birthday Aunt Joyce!

1 comment:

exception boy said...

They are gap-standers and I'm so glad you are around them.